Governance Training and Development
As experienced chairs of governors we are able to meet the development needs of standalone small primary schools to large multi academy trust. Our goal is to assist you in developing the skills, knowledge and confidence to do the job and so improve your impact.
National Leaders of Governance provide professional, practical training solutions that will help you govern with confidence.
Key Features of our training solutions
- Up to date guidance on how to do the job
- Free resource packs – templates, tools, examples and checklists to help you be productive
- Signposting to national resources, research and DfE guidance
- Best practice advice from experienced chairs
- Bespoke training solutions for your board or multi-academy trust
- Training programmes and packages
- Public courses at affordable prices
What people say about our training
We pride ourselves on delivering high quality governance services that really have an impact. Here are some comments from people who have attended our training.
- The best training I’ve ever attended. THANK YOU!
- At last training that tells me how to do the job! I feel inspired again as a governor.
- Thank you. The course has helped me understand what I should be focusing on.
- The resources provided with the training were SUPERB. They saved us so much time developing templates and guidance ourselves.
- The course was so helpful. I now understand how I can make a difference as a governor
Bespoke Training and Development Case Studies
1. Supporting a diocesan MAT prepare its academies for OFSTED
We are currently working with a large diocesan MAT running bespoke Ofsted readiness courses for governors and staff. This has helped staff and governors feel more prepared and calmer for their inspection.
2. Supporting a small primary MAT develop its vision
We worked with the board of a small primary school MAT to help the board members, (who were all chairs of the founding schools in the MAT) to transition to thinking more holistically about the MAT as a whole and develop a 3-5 year vision for the MAT.
3. Development and delivery of Local Governing Board training for a MAT
Many governing boards find it hard to transition to being a local governing board within a MAT. We have successfully delivered training for governors to help them with this transition and enable them to better understand the scheme of delegation and their responsibilities.
4. Governors’ conference and annual training package
A growing MAT of six primary schools asked us to work with them to improve their governance practices. Whilst they had very keen local governors, they lacked confidence and needed focused training to help them effectively discharge their duties.
What we did
We created a complete governance development solution for the MAT which included:
- A kick-off one day governance conference focusing on the core responsibilities of governance, reflecting the current scheme of delegation.
- Focused in-house training events on key topics, including Effective Monitoring, Governance of Safeguarding, and Governance of SEND
- Development of a governor monitoring process, including a step-by-step approach, monitoring report template and guidance
- Development and delivery of a personalised governance induction course for new governors across the MAT
- Mentoring sessions with each local chair to help them create an individual governance development plan for their local governing board
- Feedback to the trust board with guidance on potential next steps to further develop governance across the trust
- The governance conference was the most well attended governance event they had ever offered
- Local governors, trustees, members, trust staff and headteachers were motivated by the joined-up development solution that helped them really understand what was expected of them and appreciate the value of bespoke training
- Monitoring quantity, quality and effectiveness improved
- Governance practices at local board level were praised in recent Ofsted inspections across the MAT
- New governors are now able to contribute quickly and confidently to the work of the local board
The trust board and CEO are so pleased with the impact and value for money of our work with them so far we are now working on refining their scheme of delegation to make it more user friendly, creating governance role profiles for key link governor roles, and re-writing their governance handbook to provide comprehensive guidance on all governance duties across the MAT.
We provide training solutions on all aspects of the governance competence framework. We can provide training events at your school, academy, multi-academy trust, or group of schools. Group training sessions start at £300 for a two-hour session. Our training can also be provided via a webinar.
|Organising your governance team to have an impact||With limited time for governance work all governance boards need to be organised and focus on what really matters. This session will provide tips, tools and examples of how to organise your governance to really have an impact|
|Strategic governance – What is it and how to do it?||The purpose of governance is to provide confident, strategic leadership and to create robust accountability, oversight and assurance for educational and financial performance. This session will help boards understand what this means, the key strategic functions of governance and how to be strategic.|
|Improving outcomes for the Disadvantaged – the governance role||The pupil premium grant received by schools should be used to address any barriers to learning for disadvantaged pupils. This session will guide boards on their role in ensuring this grant is making a difference in their school.|
|How to engage your key stakeholders to improve your school||Listening to stakeholders is a fundamental part of good governance to ensure the board knows how pupils, parents and staff feel about the school. This session will provide board members with practical guidance on how to engage with stakeholders to improve your school.|
|Strategic governance of finance – Making every penny count||With tightening budgets and rising costs all educational establishments need to approach financial management in a far more strategic way. This session with provide practical guidance and tooling to help the board provide strategic leadership and oversight of school finances.|
|Are you ready for the new Ofsted inspection framework?||This session provides understanding what Ofsted expects of governors currently and what is changing in the proposed new framework for September 2019. Practical advice and checklists are provided to help you prepare for an inspection.|
|Governance of inclusion and SEND in your school||Governing boards have a statutory duty to be inclusive and provide for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities. This session will help boards understand their responsibilities and provide practical guidance on how to ensure their SEND provision is effective.|
|Induction to governance – where to start and how to feel confident and productive quickly||Being a new governor can be overwhelming. This induction programme gets governors started on the basics of the role so they can start to feel confident and productive. This programme is run over three sessions.|
|How to ensure you are an effective trust board||This work-session provides a guided self-review for boards looking at the key indicators of effective governance at a trust board level. This session is only offered as an in-house session for one trust board at a time.|
|Understanding and developing your scheme of delegation||The scheme of delegation is fundamental to agreeing how governance will be effective across a multi-academy trust. This session with explore the options within a scheme of delegation for collaborative working across a multi-academy trust and examines the role of the trust board and local governing board in a typical MAT structure.|
|What should you focus on as a local governing body within a MAT?||If you are a new Local Governing Body, or about to join a multi-academy trust, this session will help you adjust to working in a MAT and help you clarify your priorities for governance at an academy level. This session is ideal for an in-house workshop for your Local Governing Body or MAT.|
If you can’t see a training session on a topic of interest to you please contact us. We add new titles regularly and are happy to develop content for you.
If you are interested in training for your governing board or a group of governing boards please contact us to discuss your requirements.